[Haskell-cafe] starting GHC development -- two questions

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 01:25:33 CEST 2013

Hello Edward,

> First off, welcome to the wonderful world of GHC development!  I
> recommend that you subscribe to the ghc-devs mailing list and
> direct GHC specific questions there:

Thanks, I didn't know that. I subscribed and I will ask further
questions to that list.

> GHC has a 'make tags' command but I've never gotten it to work.  I have
> always just run 'hasktags .' in the compiler/ directory, which works
> pretty well for me.  (If you're in the RTS, run ctags, etc instead)

Great! It worked at the first try and I already started using it.

> We've been discussing putting together an easy bugs list.  As a proxy,
> you can search on the 'Difficulty' keyword:
> http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=infoneeded&status=merge&status=new&status=patch&difficulty=Easy+(less+than+1+hour)&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority
>
> For example, this bug seems like a good beginner bug to get your feet
> wet with the RTS: http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/750
>
> This one will give you some experience wrangling the test suite:
> http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8079
>
> Moving up to the moderate category, here is a nontrivial bug involving
> profiling and the optimizer: http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/609
>
> As with all open source projects, there is always lots of
> infrastructural work to be done, so if that's your sort of thing, there
> are plenty of bugs in that category.

Thanks, I'll start looking for issues with easy difficulty for now and
ask further questions to ghc-devs mailing list.

---
Ömer Sinan Ağacan
http://osa1.net