[Haskell-cafe] What am I missing? Cycle in type synonym declarations

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 21 18:07:01 CEST 2013

GHC tries to typecheck quotations.  In this case it's trying to typecheck the declaration
	type Bar = FooT $t
Part of type checking is rejecting recursive type synonyms.  Here GHC is rejecting it because it *might* be recursive, depending on how $t is filled in.

The trouble is that we really *can't*  typecheck partial declarations like this one.  All this will be fixed when we fold in the new Template Haskell story (it'll be in 7.8).  See my blog post on the GHC Trac (from about 2 yrs ago) describing the change.  (I'm on a train so don't know the URL.)  Geoff has made the change... it just needs to be merged in.

Simon