[Haskell-cafe] sequence causing stack overflow on pretty small lists

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 05:26:30 CEST 2013

IMHO it's perfectly reasonable to expect sequence/replicateM/mapM to be
able to handle a list of ~1e6 elements in the Unescapable Monad (i.e. IO).
All the alternate implementations in the world won't be as handy as
Prelude.sequence, and no amount of documentation will prevent people from
running into this headlong*.  So unless there's a downside to upping the
stack size limitation I'm unaware of, +1 to that suggestion from me.

John
[1] Most people are physically incapable of reading documents that explain
why what they want to do won't work.  Even if people did read the
documentation, I suspect that the people most in need of the information
would be the least likely to understand how it applies to their situation.