[Haskell-cafe] Substantial (1:10??) system dependencies of runtime performance??

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Sun Feb 3 01:17:34 CET 2013

Nick Rudnick wrote:

> thanks for the interesting info. I quite often have processing of CSV file
> data of about 100M-1G done.

What library are you using to process the CSV? I have had problems
with excessive laziness causing processing of a 75Meg CSV file
consuming 500+ megabytes and after I fixed it memory usage
dropped to under a megabyte. Processing time dropped from over 10
minutes to about 2 minutes.

I blogged my problem and solution here:

    http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/CodeHacking/Haskell/my_space_is_leaking.html

I probably need to revisit that because the problem can probably
be fixed without deepseq-generics and just using BangPatterns.

Erik