[Haskell-cafe] FFI - Approaches to C/C++

kudah kudahkukarek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:56:04 CET 2013

I'd object to your implication that Haskell is completely ready for
use in general soft real-time systems. I was unable to implement a
multi-threaded application which does a some IO-work in background
threads in a way so that its GUI won't die. Worker threads simply
starve the GUI, because Haskell doesn't have thread priorities. And
even if it had, it would still lag on Windows, due to lack of IO
manager. Ezyang had, in fact, made a new scheduler, which seems to
address the problem; and joeyadams tries to make IO-manager for
windows, but all this isn't going to see the light of day for a while,
at least until 7.8.1.