[Haskell-cafe] ghc-mod and cabal targets

Francesco Mazzoli f at mazzo.li
Fri Feb 8 13:42:18 CET 2013

At Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:50:47 +0100,
CJ van den Berg wrote:

> On 08/02/13 12:25, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> > At Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:39:19 +0100,
> > CJ van den Berg wrote:
> >> I downloaded your package and tried it. It does work.
> >
> > So, what I have is
> >
> >    bitonic at clay ~/src/kant (git)-[master] % cat .ghci
> >    :set -isrc
> >
> > And I still get the mentioned error.  Did you take any other measures to make
> > things work?  I’m using ghc-mod version 1.11.3.
>
> Ah, I only just realised that you’re talking about the flymake error,
> not the inferior-mode error. The problem is pretty much the same though.
> flymake uses ghc --make, which can’t import the Kant module because it
> doesn’t know how to build Parser.y.

No, that is not the problem, I have a manually preprocessed Parser.hs in place.

> ghc-ghc-options is the right place for flymake options to ghc.

Tried setting ‘ghc-ghc-options’, still no luck.  And by the way, running
‘ghc-mod’ manually doesn’t help either:

    bitonic at clay ~/src/kant (git)-[master] % cat .ghci
    :set -isrc
    bitonic at clay ~/src/kant (git)-[master] % ghc-mod check src/Kant/REPL.hs
    src/Kant/REPL.hs:0:0:Error:<command line>: cannot satisfy -package kant
        (use -v for more information)

> Options in .ghci won’t fix flymake, only inferior-mode. ghc-ghc-options
> is the place to fix flymake, although it won’t help if the import fails
> anyway.
>
> Can’t you manually preprocess Parser.y so that ghc --make has a .hs file
> it can use?

Well yes I can, but it’s a bit annoying.  I think things would be easier if
‘ghc-mod’ just used cabal commands (e.g. ‘cabal build’) to check things.

Francesco