[Haskell-cafe] Inference for RankNTypes

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:20:46 CET 2013

Your example doesn't work for the same reason the following doesn't work:

    id runST (<some st code>)

It requires the inferencer to instantiate certain variables of id's type to
polymorphic types based on runST (or flip's based on one), and then use
that information to check <some st code> (id in your example) as a
polymorphic type. At various times, GHC has had ad-hoc left-to-right
behavior that made this work, but it no longer does. Right now, I believe
it only has an ad-hoc check to make sure that:

    runST $ <some st code>

works, and not much else. Note that even left-to-right behavior covers all
cases, as you might have:

    f x y

such that y requires x to be checked polymorphically in the same way. There
are algorithms that can get this right in general, but it's a little
tricky, and they're rather different than GHC's algorithm, so I don't know
whether it's possible to make GHC behave correctly.

The reason it works when you factor out or annotate "flip one 'x'" is that
that is the eventual inferred type of the expression, and then it knows to
expect the id to be polymorphic. But when it's all at once, we just have a
chain of unifications relating things like: (forall a. a -> a) ~ beta ~
(alpha -> alpha), where beta is part of type checking flip, and alpha ->
alpha is the instantiation of id's type with unification variables, because
we didn't know that it was supposed to be a fully polymorphic use. And that
unification fails.