[Haskell-cafe] Safe 'chr' function?

Myles C. Maxfield myles.maxfield at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:50:51 CET 2013

Hello,
I'm working on a general text-processing library [1] and one of my
quickcheck tests is designed to make sure that my library doesn't throw
exceptions (it returns an Either type on failure). However, there are some
inputs that cause me to pass bogus values to the 'chr' function (such
as 1208914), which causes it to throw an exception. Is there a version of
that function that is safe? (I'm hoping for something like Int -> Maybe
Char). Alternatively, is there a way to know ahead of time whether or not
an Int will cause 'chr' to throw an exception?

Thanks,
Myles C. Maxfield

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/punycode