[Haskell-cafe] Parallel cabal install ignores order

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:50:23 CET 2013

On 11 January 2013 10:27, Niklas Hambüchen <mail at nh2.me> wrote:
> I have "jobs: 4" enabled in my cabal config to get parallel installs
> with cabal-install >= 1.16.
>
> When I do cabal install --reinstall --force-reinstalls world to
> reinstall all packages (e.g. to enable profiling or shared), it fails
> after some point, complaining that the required dependency package is
> not compiled with the needed flag (for profiling / -dyn).
>
> It looks like for reinstalls, parallel cabal-install simply ignores the
> necessary order.
>
> Can somebody confirm this or tell me if this is known?
> If not, where should it be reported?

As an off-the-cuff guess (not having had anything to do with
developing cabal-install, etc.), it probably _does_ take dependencies
into account... but it sees that the packages are all installed and
thus order isn't sufficient.  What it seemingly isn't taking into
account is the new requirement to have profiling or dynamic builds of
existing packages.