[Haskell-cafe] Repa: traverse delayed array multiple times

Andrey Yankin yankin013 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:18:47 CET 2013

Hi, Dominic!

Thanks for advice. I will definitely use it for now.

When I wrote

> Do I have to call iterate only once at a time

It was obscure and has wrong words.
I was trying to ask if it is necessary to run computeP every time I want to
modify(traverse) an array?
I was contemplating similar solution as you advise, but there is a concern.
I want to modify it thousands of times and do not want to allocate and
garbage more memory than needed.

Here is the implementation I dream of:
There must be function traverseNTimes that takes also an arbitrary number (the
number of times to repeat traversal).
Then it allocates but two new blocks and uses them to iterate the process
as needed. No superfluous memory consumption.
Is it unusual case? Is it worth thinking about? Do it give any performance
gain?

Actually I started with repa only yesterday, so I was thinking of delayed
or cursored arrays which are capable of magic.
Now I am beginning to see that it is not the case, though I don't know it
for sure yet... )

> BTW I think you can use stencils for what you are doing (I assume it is
some
> sort of relaxation method) as the coefficients are constant. I think this
> should speed things up further as you won't be testing the boundary
conditions
> on every loop.
Sadly, there are much more sophisticated formulae and more than one
boundary conditions on each side (and these conditions are moving)...