[Haskell-cafe] using/building ghc head?

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:53:29 CET 2013

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if snapshots are dodgy, to be quite
honest. As far as I'm aware, most people just build GHC HEAD
themselves, from the git repository. And a snapshot build does not
necessarily guarantee anything works in any case (there could be a
million things wrong in the repository causing failures in a binary
distribution you might not see in a developer build.)

So, if you want to build GHC, you can. This can be done in well under
an hour (or even 30 minutes) with a moderately powerful machine and
paying attention to build settings.

Check out the first section, 'Building GHC', here

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building

And this page which has some good tricks for speeding up the build,
like using 'mk/build.mk':

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Hacking

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Johannes Waldmann
<waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:
> Hi. I wanted to do some experiments with GHC Head but
>
> * I cannot use the snapshot bindist:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt
> checking for path to top of build tree... ./configure: line 2138:
> utils/ghc-pwd/dist-install/build/tmp/ghc-pwd-bindist: No such file or directory
>
> * I cannot compile snapshot from source (with ghc-7.6.1)
>
>   utils/haddock/src/Haddock/Convert.hs:201:42:
>     Not in scope: data constructor `HsBang'
>
> this is for ghc-7.7.20121213 (date Dec 21),
> which is the latest snapshot according to
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/dist/
>
> what am I missing? - J.W.

Regards,
Austin