[Haskell-cafe] ANN: crypto-pubkey: all your public key crypto algorithms belong to us.

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Tue Jan 15 09:49:49 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 01:49:44PM +0100, Daniel Fischer wrote:

> > > I suggest looking at Daniel Fischer's arithmoi [1] library, which
> > > implements very fast Integer operations and should provide most
> > > functionality needed.  However, beware of timing attacks.
> >
> > Very cool library and very similar to what crypto-numbers provides albeit
> > less sophisticated.
>
> I see you're doing a lot of x `shiftR` 1 with Integers. That's pretty bad for
> performance (at least for integer-gmp, might be not for integer-simple or
> implementations other than GHC [last I looked, JHC didn't have arbitrary
> precision Integers and used 64-bit ones, so it'd be fast there]).

Yes, the performance are terrible in term of integers. As the library is
specific to public key algorithm, i just can't reasonable work on 64 bits
integer :-), and multiprecision integers is the only way to go.

I'm on-and-off working on some mutable mpi library to be able to
define pure function that do the necessary stuff (i.e. expmod, mulmod, etc..)

I'm hoping this could be reasonably competitive with a C mpi library,
but time will tell.

--
Vincent