[Haskell-cafe] Container libraries

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Sun Jan 20 20:39:06 CET 2013

Alexander Solla <alex.solla at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the state of container libraries?  I am looking for a library
> which provides:
>
> * unordered containers (for "operational" type safety, I don't want to
> impose orders on things that don't have them -- unordered containers
> does this)

You are imposing an order.

> * can handled nested containers (containers does that)
> * can be serialized easily, or better yet, has Generic instances
>
> Does such a library exist?  What are you using for Set and Map needs?

What's wrong with 'containers' itself?  I prefer Map/Set over
HashMap/HashSet, because the speed difference is small and only
noticable for large maps/sets.  If you need multiple indices, there is
IxSet.

The advantage of those is that their speed and memory behavior is more
predictable, and they're not subject to hash collision attacks.

Serializing them is done by importing your favorite serialization
package, be it binary, cereal or safecopy/acid-state.  They all have the
necessary instances.

For all these reasons I'm not a big fan of hash-based data structures,
particularly hash tables.

Greets,
Ertugrul