[Haskell-cafe] Mobile app development?

Kristopher Micinski krismicinski at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:37:10 CET 2013

I don't believe that was really the point of the C compiler, and I'd
suspect you'd have a hard time with the runtime.

By the way, the Android APIs aren't really meant to be used by native
code: the only real use for native code in Android is GPU code and
math code (think games and DSP-type programs).

Wrapping the libraries for use by native code is *possible*, but
getting it right will be very hard: it's not like you're going to have
a simple C library which lets you touch Android's `View` hierarchy,
for example.

On top of that, you'd also want to have a "true" functional interface
to Android's API: you probably don't want to just use the Java API
verbatim.

What was your implementation plan for doing this, should you get a
runtime up for Haskell code?  I'd guess that you can pretty easily get
a Haskell program to *run* on the device from the device's command
line.  But I'd also guess that getting it to play well with Android
will be a *lot* of work.

I don't really have the time or GHC internals experience to do this,
but if someone wanted help on it, I'd be interested.

The web interface idea is okay, but obviously you're punting on speed
if you do that.  You might look into the Boot2Gecko project at
Mozilla, it has similar aspirations.

Kris