[Haskell-cafe] catamorphisms and attribute grammars

Chris Wong chrisyco+haskell-cafe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:20:07 CET 2013

Hi Petr,

Congratulations -- you've just implemented a Moore machine! [1]

I posted something very much like this just last year [2]. It's a very
common pattern in Haskell, forming the basis of coroutines and
iteratees and many other things.

Edward Kmett includes it in his machines package [3]. His variation,
like mine, hides the state inside a closure, removing the need for
existentials. pipes 2.0 contains one implemented as a free monad [4].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore_machine
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/machines/0.2.3/doc/html/Data-Machine-Moore.html
[3] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2012-May/101460.html
[4] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pipes/2.0.0/doc/html/Control-Pipe-Common.html