[Haskell-cafe] Most used functions in hackage

Dmitry Vyal akamaus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:57:18 CET 2013

On 01/29/2013 11:21 AM, Casey Basichis wrote:

> Is there any link that counts the use of all functions in all packages
> in Hackage and lists them by frequency or by other stats?
>
> I'm still new to haskell but I've been working my way through tons and
> tons of tutorials and books. It would be very helpful to target in on
> the current reality of the most critical functions.

Hello Casey,

You can use Hoogle http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/ to get information
about a particular function or to find a function by a part of it's
signature.

While it's helpful to carefully study some basic modules like Prelude
function by function, I don't think it's a good approach in general. I
suggest you to look for reviews of popular modules. Personally, I found
"24 days of hackage" http://ocharles.org.uk/blog/ to be quite
informative. I wouldn't argue it's a best source for a beginner, but at
least it gives quite a broad perspective.

Best regards,
Dmitry