[Haskell-cafe] Type classes, collections, sum types, closures, and a massive headache

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:11:31 CET 2013

> Today I thought it was about time to simplify how new 'things' of a certain kind are added to the system. These things are some a cross between an event and an assertion of a fact in a rule based system. There are many different kinds of these things. I already have more than a dozen commonplace ones, and I expect there's a much larger number of more specialized ones that a user will want to add on their own. While they start out quite differently, they end up satisfying a common interface and follow the identical three or four state lifecycle. This sounded like a type class to me, and in fact, easily implemented as such.

I hardly ever use typeclasses, I've never used existential types or
GADTs, and it's worked fine for me for many years.  Maybe just a
difference in programming style, or the sorts of things I write, but
implies at least that you can get very far not using any of that
stuff.

If each of your things have the same 3 or 4 states, can you make a
state into a value, and compose them?  E.g. 'thing1 = state1 <> state2
<> thing1state where thing1state = ...' and state1 and state2 are
defined in a library.

If you have lots of different ways to take A to B and want to let the
caller configure it, then just pass an A->B function.  If you want to
configure an unpredictable subset of things, then maybe make a default
record and pass 'default { aToB = customVersion }'.  If each function
depends on a configuration environment that you want to inherit from
callers, then maybe put that record into a Reader.

In my case, the main design decision winds up being the balance of
data (i.e. records with values or functions) and code (i.e. functions
that do parts of what you want and can be composed together in various
ways).  Code is extensible and flexible but can't be manipulated, data
is inflexible (in that you have to hardcode some kind of "schema"),
but that means you can write functions to transform it.