[Haskell-cafe] Monadic parser vs. combinator parser

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Wed Jan 30 13:21:18 CET 2013

I will be writing a parser in Haskell and I wonder how to approach the problem. My first thought
was to use monadic parser, e.g. like the one described by Hutton and Meijer in "Monadic Parsing
in Haskell" functional pearl. But then I stumbled upon this:

https://github.com/alephnullplex/cradle/tree/master/code/src/Lbach/Parser

Monadic parser seems extremely verbose and not very straightforward compared to this one. I
started to wonder whether I should use monadic parser for the sake of it being monadic or should
I just go with the combinator approach? Any thoughts will be appreciated before I shoot myself in
the foot :)

Janek