[Haskell-cafe] Monadic parser vs. combinator parser

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Jan 31 10:47:12 CET 2013

Thanks for replies guys. I indeed didn't notice that there are monads and applicatives used in
this parser. My thought that monadic parsers are more verbose came from Hutton's paper where the
code is definitely less readable than in example I provided.

There is one more thing that bothers me. It is easy to write a parser that returns Nothing when
parsing fails. But I can't figure out a way to add meaningful error messages so that the user
knows where did the parsing fail. I experimented with using Either so that I can use Left to pass
error messages but this turned out to be inflexible and clutered the code. I will be greatful for
any ideas.

Janek