[Haskell-cafe] FFI - Approaches to C/C++

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:32:36 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Casey Basichis <caseybasichis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project in Haskell and C++ where the former is the brains
> and the latter is for UI, interaction etc.
>
> I've read this
> http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/04/26/functional-programming-in-c/ and
> a number of other haskell posts suggesting the OOP is not the way to go.
>
> Without trying to emulate functional programming through templates or
> boost::phoenix, what approaches do you all favor when designing parts of an
> application in C++?  Patterns to embrace or avoid?
>
> Should I just use functions and handle things with name spaces?  I was
> thinking about handling the callbacks with boosts signals and slots 2
>
> I know this is not entirely haskell centric, but it is a question for
> haskell users.
>
> Thanks,
> Casey

And then

I'm on iOS so I imagine those difficulties are compounded.

If you can tolerate the view that Haskell is more of an ideology than a
technology, and are willing to explore areas that are technologically
disparate but conceptually similar to Haskell maybe you should look at
ocaml:
http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tosh/ocaml-on-iphone/index.html
http://psellos.com/ocaml/compile-to-iphone.html

Rusi