[Haskell-cafe] cabal-dev: installing/running with profiling enabled

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 01:32:34 CEST 2013

Hi Ömer,

I've replied in-line below.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com>wrote:

> So I tried installing the program in a fresh cabal-dev environment
> with profiling enabled, so that all dependencies would be also
> installed with profiling enabled. But for some reason even after
> installing with `cabal-dev install --enable-executable-profiling
> -prof` I still can't run this program with `caba-dev/bin/program +RTS
> -p`, it fails with 'program: the flag -p requires the program to be
> built with -prof'.

Because you're installing libraries (into the cabal-dev sandbox) you'll
also need to add the --enable-library-profiling flag, in addition to the
--enable-executable-profiling flag.  Cabal-dev could infer the former from
the later, but we haven't done that (this doesn't seem to come up very
often).

I don'th think the -prof flag is necessary; but if it is, then it may also
be misinterpreted by cabal-dev; generally, you need to pass flags that only
use a single leading "-" to cabal-dev with the --flags=... option. (eg:
'cabal-dev install --enable-library-profiling --enable-executable-profiling
--flags=-prof'

This command worked for me:

$ cabal-dev install --enable-library-profiling --enable-executable-profiling

Note that you must remove the existing cabal-dev sandbox directory before
running that command (or the installed dependencies that were built without
library profiling can cause the build to fail.

--Rogan