[Haskell-cafe] question about indentation conventions

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jul 2 02:24:25 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 07:53:08PM -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> Two questions:

And what I've concluded by reading this thread:

> 1) Are there wide-spread conventions in the Haskell community for how to
> indent an application expression that's split across multiple lines?

Well, there's general consensus in favor of indenting the continuing lines,
but not a lot of consensus on how much, etc.  Not surprising, and that's
OK.  Infix operators are more complicated.

> 2) If there is such a convention, how do I make Emacs's haskell-mode do it?

Doesn't seem to be possible, unless you're in a "do" block.

To be clear: I wasn't asking how to make Emacs do all of my indentation
automatically, as it can in Lisp and C modes.  I realize that isn't
possible.

But since haskell-mode doesn't have very good support for the style I
personally prefer (which is, in fact, consistent with Richard O'Keefe's
favorite rule), I wondered if that might indicate that the community
prefers a different style.  Apparently not.

Thanks to all who responded; it's been an interesting (if occasionally
overly excited) discussion.

Richard