[Haskell-cafe] ghci & ghc -> JS (Emscripten)

B B blackbox.dev.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 16:38:51 CEST 2013

Thank you for all the replies.
Luite Stegeman - I was thinking that the LLVM IR code is optimized already
or you can run LLVM IR optimization passes to get rid of such things. I
think compiling with ghc -fllvm generates LLVM bitcode and then you can
simply run emscripten on it to get Javascript - and it should work as
expected.

We are creating an online graphics (HTML5 canvas, webgl) processing tool -
we want to use Haskell as our processing language and we want allow users
to interactively process graphics in a functional, lazy manner. We want
GHCI to be run inside browser, to allow for smooth work.
So what about compiling GHC to JS - please look at: http://repl.it/languages

There are a lot of interpreters (like python or ruby) compiled to
javascript using emscripten.

Would it be possible to compile the GHCI (written in haskell?) with GHC
-fllvm to IR bitcode and then to javascript to get the online GHCI
interpreter? (not such "online" tools like "Try Haskell", which under the
hood compute everything on server)