[Haskell-cafe] Harder Question - Chapter 4 - 4.12 - haskell the craft of functional programming - Second Edition

Manoel Menezes manoel.menezes.jr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 04:17:41 CEST 2013

Hi everybody!

I am trying to solve the question for a long time:

[*4.12 Harder] Find out the maximum number of pieces we can get by making a
given*
*number of flat (that is planar) cuts through a solid block. It is not the
same*
*answer as we calculated for straight-line cuts of a flat piece of paper.*

I find out that this function has the following results:

f 0 = 1
f 1 = 2
f 2 = 4
f 3 = 8

That is, from 0 to 3, the flat cuts all the pieces in two other pieces, so
the number of pieces is doubled.

But, starting from f 4, the flat can not cuts all the pieces, in case of f
4, the flat can cut 6 out of the 8 pieces, resulting
in 12 pieces plus 2 pieces 2 = 14 pieces.

But I can not reach a general case.

Can anybody help me to find out the solution?

Thank you very much!

Manoel Menezes.
 Manoel Messias da Silva Menezes Jr
 M.Sc.in Computer Science