[Haskell-cafe] Non-recursive let [Was: GHC bug? Let with guards loops]

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Jul 11 00:19:11 CEST 2013

On 10.07.13 11:42 AM, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:
> I think we are all aware that shadowing is
> a bad idea, no matter whether you do it through Identity or
> non-recursive let.

     WHAT??

[This is Richard Bird's WHAT?? when someone said that using folds is
like programming in assembly language.]

     How can you think this if we say we WANT shadowing?!

> Also if you are serious about this, you would have to make non-recursive
> let the default to get OCaml-style behavior, which would be an extremely
> invasive change.  We would have to fix pretty much all packages, all
> tutorials, all books, all wiki pages, etc.  Otherwise just like you may
> forget to renumber your variables, you may just as well forget to add
> the "norec" keyword or whatever the syntax would be.

Wow, this is getting really dramatic now.  Don't be afraid, now one will
force you to shadow any of your identifiers...

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/