[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Non-recursive let

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jul 17 02:20:24 CEST 2013

Brian Marick sent me a couple of his stickers.
The one I have on my door reads "to be less wrong than yesterday".
The other one I keep free to bring out and wave around:

	"An example would be handy about now."

All of the arguing to and fro -- including mine! -- about
non-recursive let has been just so much hot air.  I could
go on about how the distinction between 'val' and 'val rec'
in ML was one of the things I came to dislike intensely,
and how Haskell's single coherent approach is one of the
things that attracted me to Haskell.

But why should anyone else care?

When presented with a difficulty, it is very common for some
functional language users to propose adding just one more
feature from some other language, commonly an imperative one
(which ML, Caml, and F# arguably are).  Typically this is
something that _would_ solve the immediate problem but would
create worse problems elsewhere, and there is some other
solution, either one already available in the language, or a
better one that would solve additional problems or cause
fewer ones.

The best help for any discussion is A CONCRETE EXAMPLE OF
REAL CODE.  Not little sketches hacked up for the purpose
of discussion, but ACTUAL CODE.  The person who initially
proposes a problem may think some details are not relevant,
whereas someone else may see them as the key to the solution.

For example, looking at some code in another mostly-
functional language, which had been presented as reason why
we needed a new construct, I rewrote it in less than half
the number of lines using existing constructors, using only
existing features.

Without seeing THE ACTUAL CODE that prompted this thread,
it is impossible to tell whether that might be the case here.

In this specific case, we are seeing state being threaded
through a bunch of updates, and IN THE ABSENCE OF THE ACTUAL
CODE, it seems to me that monad notation is the most
intention-revealing notation available for the purpose in
Haskell, and if Haskell did have non-recursive let it would
STILL be best to write such code using a state monad so that
human beings reading the Haskell code would have some idea
of what was happening, because that's how state changes are
supposed to be expressed in Haskell, and anything else
counts as obfuscation.

But THE ACTUAL CODE might show that this case was different
in some important way.