[Haskell-cafe] Default installation path of haskell platform in windows

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 21:25:11 CEST 2013

Hi café,

I just spent the whole day fighting ghc and cabal to get my program
compiled in windows (and I haven't succeeded yet :) )

realgcc is not very happy about paths with spaces in them (I think
there's an open bug about the way ghc calls realgcc, which manifests
if you use extra-lib-dirs in the cabal file).

I'd like to ask you: Might it be wise to change the setup file of the
Haskell Platform to default to an installation path with no spaces in
it, and to tell users why this is a good idea (possibly during the
installation process)?

Other projects are doing the same, including msys.

Please be aware that I know that this "solution" is far from ideal.
Ideally, it should just work (with spaces and without them). This is
purely a practical decision, a workaround, aiming at making haskell
more accessible to windows users, and making it easier for us to
develop software that works in all platforms.

Regards

Ivan