[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: Non-recursive let

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Wed Jul 24 10:11:38 CEST 2013

On 23.07.13 4:34 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> On 22/07/2013, at 8:14 PM, Andreas Abel wrote:
>
>> Just today, my student asked me why the following program does nothing:
>
> Did you ask your student why their code should not be torn into pieces,
> burned to ashes, and incorporated into a pot for radioactive waste?
>
> All those occurrences of unsafePerformIO!

No, here they are intended, to simulate something like uniqueness types
in Clean, which incidentially has been mentioned on this thread before.

The loop has nothing to do with unsafePerformIO, but stems from
Haskell's idiosyncratic recursive let, which is a trap for all that come
from another functional language.

Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Munich, GERMANY

andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/