[Haskell-cafe] Country names and language names

Obscaenvs obscaenvs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:38:11 CET 2013

Hi! I am working on an app in Yesod that craves I18N. A problem I've
come across there is giving correct country and language names based on
currently selected language. So far, I've used the Yesod I18N message
approach, but a lot of hand coding is involved.

The iso3166-country-codes [1] package at Hackage by Jon Fairbairn
provides a start in the right direction, but an obvious improvement upon
it would be to have a function or map that takes an ISO 639 code and an
ISO 3166 code and gives the correct human-readable name for the country
as per the chosen target language (the ISO 639 code), and another
function/map for languages. It would alleviate coding those pesky
country and language switchers a *lot*, among other things.

Jon Fairbarn that coded the iso3166-country-codes package said in
private correspondence that it seemed worthwhile doing, but he couldn't
do it in his spare time, which is understandable. I am willing to do
some of the stuff involved (I know Swedish, French and some Turkish in
addition to the ubiquitous English), but obviously it's too big a
project for one man to handle (what with all the c'n'p involved :) ).

I feel that this should be done, since it seems it isn't yet. I am
inexperienced in coordinating such endeavours, though, so I would like
to share that task at least to begin with, if possible.

Any thoughts?

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/iso3166-country-codes-0.20111111.4

/Fredrik