[Haskell-cafe] GSOC application level

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:46:25 CET 2013

Hi Mateusz,

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>wrote:

> Can someone that has been around for a bit longer comment on what level
> of experience with Haskell and underlying concepts is usually expected
> from candidates? Are applications discarded simply based on the
> applicant not having much previous experience in the target area? What
> is the level of the competition for places on the projects?

We don't have a fix bar for "things you need to known when you apply".
Rather we try to guess whether the student can accomplish the project
he/she is applying for, based on whatever evidence we have e.g.
contribution to other projects, released libraries on Hackage, and other
forms of community participation. Since we typically have more proposals
than slots we will rank students both based on how impactful we think the
project will be and how likely we think it is that the student will
proceed. Both these qualities map onto a single number that we use to stack
rank proposals.