[Haskell-cafe] GSOC application level

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 07:01:11 CET 2013

"Mateusz Kowalczyk" <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk> wrote:

> I know that this year's projects aren't up
> yet

Just to clarify, there isn't an official list of projects for you to choose
from.  The project that you purpose is entirely up to you.  There is a list
of recommendations at
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/report/1 and another list of
ideas at http://reddit.com/r/haskell_proposals -- but keep in mind that you
ultimately make your own choice about what you propose, and it doesn't have
to be selected from those lists.  You can start writing your perusal today
if you like.

Having an unusually good idea is a great way to get selected even if you
don't have an established body of work to point to.  Just keep in mind that
proposals are evaluated not just on the benefit if they are completed, but
also on their likelihood of success... a good idea is both helpful and
realistic.  They are also evaluated on their benefit to the actual Haskell
community... so of that's not something you have a good fell for, I'd
suggest getting involved.  Follow reddit.com/r/haskell, read this mailing
list, read Haskell blogs from planet.haskell.org, and get familiar with
what Haskellers are concerned about and interested in.