[Haskell-cafe] File I/O benchmark help (conduit, io-streams and Handle)

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 09:01:50 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1GB/s for copying a file is reasonable - it's around half the memory
> bandwidth, so copying the data twice would give that result (assuming no
> actual I/O is taking place, which is what you want because actual I/O will
> swamp any differences at the software level).
>
> The Handle overhead should be negligible if you're only using hGetBufSome
> and hPutBuf, because those functions basically just call read() and write()
> when the amount of data is larger than the buffer size.
>
> There's clearly something suspicious going on here, unfortunately I don't
> have time right now to investigate, but I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Possibly disk caching/syncing issues?  If some of the tests are able to
either read entirely from cache (on the 1MB test), or don't completely sync
after the write, they could happen much faster than others that have to
actually hit the disk.  For the 60MB test, it's almost guaranteed that
actual IO would take place and dominate the timings.

John L.