[Haskell-cafe] Lazy object deserialization

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Mar 15 08:49:09 CET 2013

Scott Lawrence <bytbox at gmail.com> writes:

> All the object serialization/deserialization libraries I could find (pretty
> much just binary and cereal) seem to be strict with respect to the actual data
> being serialized.

Binary became strict between 0.4.4 and 0.5, I think doing so improved
the speed of GHC.  I had a file format wrapper at the time which
depended on it being lazy, and was stuck at 0.4.4 for a long time, until
somebody helped me with a workaround.  Performance is a bit worse than
it was with 0.4.4, but I think it's better to stay with current code.

The code in question is in the darcs repository at:

  http://malde.org/~ketil/biohaskell/biosff

the relevant patch is named "Update to use [...]"

-k