[Haskell-cafe] Excercise on tagless final interpreters

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 21 13:56:37 CET 2013

On 13-03-21 06:32 AM, matteo vezzola wrote:
> I'm playing with tagless final interpreters reading [1], using a very simple language:

> After pushing down negations I'd like to distribute (.*.) over (.+.). [1] leaves it as an exercise, so it can't be that hard, but I don't get it...
>
> Anyone knows how I could do it?
>
> [1]: <http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/course/lecture.pdf>
>

> thanks,

It is exactly the same idea: you use a context to track whether you have
something (a multiplication) waiting to be distributed.  It is a tad
more involved because you need to track more than a single bit of
information.

Write it out: draw two ASTs, one where there is something to distribute,
and another where there isn't, put yourself in the position of the
addition, and think "what information would I need now to perform the
distribution".  Once you've figured that out, the rest is
straightforward.  You do need to figure out the non-distribution case as
well, otherwise you'll find yourself pushing a context too far and get
wrong answers.

Jacques