[Haskell-cafe] Make a DSL serializable

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 21:16:16 CET 2013

Hi Daniel,
in my game the handlers are supplied by the players as part of little
programs that they submit. An haskell interpreter is reading the program
code submitted and inserts it in the game.
So there is an infinite number of handlers...
I was thinking of hiding the parameters of the handlers like this:

data Exp a where
     OnEvent :: EventName -> Exp () -> Exp ()
     getArg :: Exp Int
     setArg :: Exp ()
     deriving (Show)

Now it should be possible to write the Show instance:
instance Show a -> Show (Exp a) where ...

You could write a program like this:

myProgram :: Exp ()
myProgram = do
   OnEvent NewPlayer (getArg >>= (\name -> output $ "Hello to player " ++
name))

But I don't find it elegant at all: there is no compile time guaranty that
the caller will set the argument correctly as you can have with normal
function signatures...
Best,
Corentin