[Haskell-cafe] A Thought: Backus, FP, and Brute Force Learning

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 05:10:55 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>wrote:

> It's "Backus", people.  He was never the god of wine.
>
> I cannot detect any trace of Backus's FP in Haskell at all.
> FP is strict. Haskell is not.
> FP is typeless.  Haskell is highly typeful.
> FP does not name formal parameters.  Haskell often does.
> FP has roots in APL.  Haskell doesn't.
>
> I don't see any trace of Backus's FP in ML, Clean, or F# either.
>
> The idea of writing programs by composing lots of small
> functions is common to them both, but the idea of
> combinators preceded them both.

I really wonder about this whole discussion -- not the details… the
perspective.

Its like saying the Ford T
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KGhxacA_p1k/TV0g_qeHOFI/AAAAAAAACF8/5t8NRxpzUCo/s1600/1912-ford-model-t.jpg
is an unsafe car
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7gEOpb7-9IU/TV0g-88-dZI/AAAAAAAACF0/u3dh8CXAAGI/s1600/f1244_it0061.jpg
and should be equipped with airbags.

To the OP:
I believe that FP has much to contribute to programming, whether you
identify yourself as an FPer or not.

- Not the fancy type hackery of modern haskell
- Not the math hackery of Backus
Just basic stuff like
http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/functional-programming-lost-booty.html
[Sorry its only an outline and is skimpy]

For the most part I agree with the foll -- except the type-classes.

> As for
> "Def Innerproduct = (Insert +) o (ApplyToAll x) o Transpose"
> the idea is that this ought to be *easier* to understand than
> an imperative loop because all of the parts are separated out
> instead of being graunched up together.
>
> inner_product :: Num a => ([a],[a]) -> a
>
> inner_product = foldr1 (+) . map (uncurry (*)) . uncurry zip
>
> _is_ expressible in Haskell, although
>
> inner_product :: Num a => [a] -> [a] -> a
>
> inner_product = sum . zipWith (*)
>
> would be more idiomatic.

Personal note:
I recently taught a course in Erlang and I did what Ive done for 25 years
-- start with FP.
In the past its always more or less worked well
- in 1988 it was scheme
- in 1992 it was gofer, the predecessor of haskell
- in 2001 it was scheme.
This time I used haskell and the results were not so good, primarily
because of typeclasses