[Haskell-cafe] install cuda

Peter Caspers pcaspers1973 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 18:55:15 CEST 2013

> The environment variable should probably be LIBRARY_PATH; I use a
> semicolon as separator.
> See also LD_LIBRARY_PATH vs LIBRARY_PATH[0].

yes, it's LIBRARY_PATH. The x64 version of cuda.lib is not recognized at
all (same error message as if the file was not existent). The Win32
version "works", but results in

configure:3627: c:\HaskellPlatform\2012.4.0.0\mingw\bin\gcc.exe -o
conftest.exe -Wl,--hash-size=31 -Wl,--reduce-memory-overheads
-I/c/CUDA/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_Toolkit/CUDA/v4.1/include
-L/c/CUDA/NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_Toolkit/CUDA/v4.1/lib  conftest.c
-lcuda   >&5
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\ccOwCQ6n.o:conftest.c:(.text+0xc):
undefined reference to `cuDriverGetVersion'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I ran nm on cuda.lib and got the entry

nvcuda.dll:
00000000 I .idata$4
00000000 I .idata$5
00000000 I .idata$6
00000000 T .text
          U _IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR_nvcuda
00000000 I _imp__cuDriverGetVersion at 4
00000000 T cuDriverGetVersion at 4

this looks ok so far. Running nm on the x64 version of the lib file
results in rubbish output (consistent with the observation above).

I understand that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used to look up to dll when running
the program (is that correct?). However we are not at this point yet,
are we, since the error occurs on the gcc invocation ?

> Try my fork:
>
> https://github.com/mainland/cuda
>
> In particular, read WINDOWS.md.

I also read Geoffreys WINDOWS.md and understood that configuring dll
names are only necessary when using ghci, not for compiled programs
(nothing to do for this case ?) and in particular not for installing the
package ?

Actually the dll is not named nvcuda.dll as indicated in the nm output,
but rather cudart32_41_28.dll I suppose and this file is located in the
bin subfolder. I should set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the bin folder, yes ?
Should I configure this dll name for package installation already (i.e.
in addition to what is mentioned in WINDOWS.md) ? If yes, how ?

Thank you
Peter