[Haskell-cafe] Cabal sandboxes over cabal-dev (Rogan Creswick)

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 17:58:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Gregory Guthrie <guthrie at mum.edu> wrote:

>    "I *strongly* suggest everyone start transitioning from cabal-dev to
> cabal sandboxes."
>
> Is there any reason that this is not just the default install mode for
> Cabal?

I'm on the fence about this -- iirc, ruby has a similar concept (revn?)
that has this default, and it can be quite confusing (and, in my
experience, generates a fair bit of clutter, although that would probably
go down with experience.)

Perhaps if cabal prompted for confirmation when creating a new sandbox (but
only if running in an interactive context)? I could see my self
inadvertently cabal-installing utilities (eg: newt, bnfc, etc...) in
sandboxes on accident.

--Rogan