[Haskell-cafe] Canberra interest?

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Mon Nov 18 01:32:26 UTC 2013

On 18/11/2013, at 11:12 AM, Tony Morris wrote:

> Hello, I am from Brisbane, Australia and it is my mission to teach
> functional programming to all and especially Australia. I am tasked with
> this mission by my employer, NICTA, which is funded by the Australia
> government.
>
> With support from NICTA, I usually run (free) courses to assist in this
> mission and have done so in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. However, I
> often wonder about any interest in Canberra. I do not find any user
> interest groups related to Functional Programming or language-specific
> such as Haskell when I search, so I was hoping to seek out any
> expressions of interest here.
>
> Are any of you from Canberra? If so, are you interested in learning more
> about functional programming? Would you be interested in attending a 2
> or 3 day workshop? Do you have peers who would also be interested? If
> these people exist, how might I contact them?

I am from Canberra originally.

On the academic side, talk to:

Clem Baker-Finch -- teaches programming languages at ANU.
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3877
http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP3610/

Uwe Zimmer -- teaches first year programming in Haskell at ANU.
https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/zimmer-ur
http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp1100/index.html

Also anyone who is tutoring for them.

There are also FP people in the RSISE/NICTA lab, but they are more experienced researchers that don't need
the basics of functional programming taught to them. Eg:

Michael Norrish -- is associated with the L4 verified project here in Sydney.
http://nicta.com.au/people/norrishm

At one time Alex Mason was organising some FP events from Canberra, but I haven't heard anything about him for a year or more. I suspect he's graduated by now (was an undergrad at ANU).

Ben.