[Haskell-cafe] Poll & plea: State of GUI & graphics libraries in Haskell

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus
Sun Oct 6 08:47:38 UTC 2013

Sven Panne wrote:
> 2013/9/27 Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de>:
>> Actually, I'm reading about WebGL right now, and it appears to me that it
>> should be very easy to support in Threepenny. [...]
>
> I am not sure if WebGL is enough: WebGL is basically OpenGL ES 2.0,
> which is again basically OpenGL 2.0 plus some extensions. OpenGL
> itself is currently at 4.4, and the situation regarding the supported
> shading language versions is even worse. In a nutshell: WebGL =
> ancient OpenGL. If it's enough for your purposes, fine, but otherwise
> I guess a lot of people want something more recent.

Fair enough. I have never really worked with OpenGL and its variants, so
I wouldn't know.

That said, from a cursory look, I get the impression that OpenGL ES 2.0
was the recent standard on mobile platforms. For instance, iOS 7 just
recently introduced OpenGL ES 3.0 support.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com