[Haskell-cafe] PSA: do not install xcode 5 if you are using ghc 7.6

Edsko de Vries edskodevries at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 13:00:46 CEST 2013

Just to add to Carter's message: if you happened to install Xcode 5
anyway, then realized your mistake and uninstalled it and installed
Xcode 4 again, you will STILL have the command line tools that came
with Xcode 5 and your Haskell toolchain will STILL be broken -- and so
far I have been unable to fix that by any combination of cabal's
"gcc-location", ghc's "-pgmP", and various other options. This was
true even though I installed the command line tools that came with
Xcode 4.

Eventually I fixed this by manually installing the command line tools
separately from

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action?=command%20line%20tools#

Unlike ticking the "Command line tools" option in Xcode itself, this
will actually overwrite the command line tools in /usr/bin, and my
Haskell toolchain was once again restored. I don't know why I couldn't
get it to work by pointing to the relevant tools in
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin, but there you go..

Anyway, this might save some of you some headaches..

-Edsko