[Haskell-cafe] Current status of Mavericks CPP

Kazu Yamamoto (=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?=) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Wed Apr 16 06:28:38 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

> I still seem to be getting bug reports about the CPP implementation of
> Mavericks. Last I'd heard, it seemed that general consensus was that
> packages should *not* be patched to work around the different CPP
> implementation, and instead Mavericks users should be installing GCC's CPP.
>
> Is this accurate? And is there a wiki page somewhere describing the
> situation and how to work around it? I'd like to have some authoritative
> URL to point people to, especially given that I have no access to a Mac
> system and therefore can't test this myself.

Mavericks users *must* install ghc-clang-wrapper provided by HP:
	http://www.haskell.org/platform/mac.html

This scripts passes "-E -undef -x assembler-with-cpp" to CPP (clang)
which solves many problems of CPP.

If ghc-clang-wrapper causes problems with your code, I'd suggest to
fix your code. I'm not sure this actually happens.

Also, Haskell users should install the latest happy and alex.

For more information, please read:

	http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2013-November/003300.html

--Kazu