[Haskell-cafe] PROPOSAL: Record field type inference

AntC anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Thu Jun 5 09:20:31 UTC 2014

> John Meacham <john <at> repetae.net> writes:
> An extension to the named field mechanism that will greatly enhance the
> utility of them when combined with the existing
> `DisambiguateRecordFields`, `RecordPuns`, and `RecordWildCards`.

Thank you John, + 1 to:
> Selector functions will not be created for infered records, as in, the names
are field labels and not functions. This means they do not share a namespace
with functions and do not conflict with each other. Multiple records may have
the same field names in the same module.

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records/DeclaredOverloadedRecordFields/N
oMonoRecordFields

(I agree with you [John] in not seeing a great deal of similarity to the
OverloadedRecordFields work. My earlier suggestion of not creating Selector
functions is exactly to free up the namespace. That suggestion is part of (and
largely orthogonal to) an alternative records proposal which also relies
heavily on the type system.)

AntC