[Haskell-i18n] Unicode in source

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
23 Aug 2002 08:59:36 +0200

Ashley Yakeley <ashley@semantic.org> writes:

> At 2002-08-21 03:42, Sven Moritz Hallberg wrote:

>> variable-width characters:
>> Unicode specifically doesn't say anything about the glyph representation
>> of the characters.

> Some characters are considered "half-width", see UTR #11.

What a mess!

I think at this point I'll suggest that the indentation column is
defined as the number of Chars, and to hell with character widths --
if you need to have Chinese identifiers, then use an editor which
understands layout properly.

If anybody, I mean *anybody*, seriously intends to use multi-column
characters in their code, and can explain why they have to use an
editor that although it apparently handles Unicode, can't handle
layout, then I'd be happy to revise my standpoint.

Otherwise I fear that we spend an inordinate amount of time and
complexity of solving 'could-be' problems that in reality won't affect
anybody.  C trigraphs, anyone?

And as usual, I propose to use line breaks after magic words.  Worse
is better, delenda est Carthago, have a nice day.

-kzm