Defaults for superclass methods

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 11 06:35:09 EDT 2006

On 11 April 2006 11:08, Ross Paterson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 11:03:22AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> This is a rather useful extension, and as far as I can tell it
>> doesn't have a ticket yet:
>>
>>   http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-March/003494.html
>>
>> should I create a ticket?  Is there any reason it might be hard to
>> implement?
>
> There are a range of proposals, but none of them are implemented.
> Wouldn't that rule them out for Haskell'?

If it's not clear which is the right way to go, then yes I guess that
does rule it out.  Could you summarise the proposals?  If there was a
clear winner, and it was easy enough to implement, perhaps we can knock
up a prototype in time.

The reason being I just hit a case where this would be useful, while
trying to find a nice way to express extensible exceptions.

Cheers,
	Simon