M-R: Test performance impact (was: The dreaded M-R)

Nils Anders Danielsson nad at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Feb 1 06:41:48 EST 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, "Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Given the new evidence that it's actually rather hard to demonstrate any
> performance loss in the absence of the M-R with GHC, I'm attracted to
> the option of removing it in favour of a warning.

I also want to remove the M-R, because of various reasons that have
been mentioned before.

However, to stand on more solid ground I suggest that someone runs
some performance tests, with and without
-fno-monomorphism-restriction, to see whether the M-R has any great
impact in practice. There are some performance test suites based on
real code out there, right? Nofib?

--
/NAD