Bang patterns, ~ patterns, and lazy let

John Hughes rjmh at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Feb 8 05:19:19 EST 2006

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

>| The trouble with those parts is that NOWHERE do they discuss how to
>| translate a let or where containing more than one binding. If they're
>| not to be translated via tupling, then how are they to be translated?
>
>Sorry I wasn't clear.  Given
>	let { p1 = e1; ... ; pn = en } in e0
>
>(P1)  For each pattern pi that is of form !qi = ei, transform it to
>	xi at qi = ei
>and replace e0 by (xi `seq` e0)
>
>(P2)  Now no pattern has a ! at the top.  Now apply the existing rules
>in
>3.12 of the Haskell report.
>

>So step (P1) above adds some seqs, and after that it's all just standard
>Haskell 98.
>

>My summary so far:

Good summary.

>1) Bang patterns by themselves are quite decent, well-behaved patterns.
>
>2) Rule (P1) is simple to describe.   But the ! in a pattern binding is
>treated as part of the *binding* rather than part of the *pattern* which
>is wart-y.

And as a consequence, it is no longer possible to transform a pair of
bindings into a binding of a pair. In Haskell 98,

    p1 = e1
    p2 = e2

is always equivalent to

    (~p1, ~p2) = (e1,e2)

and you can make this change *locally*, without consideration of the
body of the let in which the bindings appear. With ! bindings (let's use
a different name from ! patterns, because they are not the same thing),
there's no way to rewrite

    !p1 = e1
    !p2 = e2

as a single tuple binding, because there's nowhere you can put the !
that will have the same effect. Thus we lose a law from the algebra of
bindings, which is part of the reason why this is warty.

John