Wanted: unified annotation syntax, was: Re: strict Haskell dialect

isaac jones ijones at galois.com
Fri Feb 10 20:42:23 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 09:29 +0100, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> John Meacham wrote:
>
> > module $hat.Foo(..) where ...
>
> Before we invent more ad-hoc notation for annotations
> (we already have deriving, {-# .. #-}, {-! .. -!} (DrIFT) )
> can we replace all (or most) of this with a unified annotation syntax,
> e. g. Java uses "@" notation which is basically allowed
> at any declaration, and (important points) programmers can
> define their own annotations, and annotations can also have values.

The ticket for Johannes's proposal is here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/88

This looks to me like it's related to "specifying language extensions"
here:
http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-February/000335.html

Patryk, have you created a ticket for your proposal?  Could it be
implemented w/ annotations as described by Johannes?  Could the two of
you put together a specific proposal?

I've put a meta-proposal here for this question:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/91

peace,

  isaac