Haskell' Status

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Wed Feb 15 23:27:10 EST 2006

I'll try to occasionally post an announcement of the the status of
Haskell'[1], the next Haskell standard, so that you can all be aware of
my thinking, and our current place in the timeline.

There is a list of proposals and a "strawman" categorization of them
on the wiki[2].  The categorization reflects someone's current
thinking about what's in and out, but it's really just for discussion
at this phase.

The timeline for this effort is also on the wiki[4].  You'll notice
that it's very aggressive; we plan to announce something at the next
Haskell Workshop in September.

Our current spot in the timeline is that we're meant to be
brainstorming, discussing, and refining proposals.  I've just posted
some leading questions [3] in order to focus the discussion a bit.

I can't help but notice that there is a lot of excitement (and
support?)  for a larger standard; one that would have a bigger impact.
I think that part of the Haskell' effort should be to make a plan for
moving forward.  At the very least we should have a set of
recommendations for what the community needs to work on between this
and the next standard; what are the most promising proposals and what
needs to happen to make them a reality.  I think that the wiki will be
a great resource for any future standard, and we should work to make
it as nice as possible.

Please reply to the Haskell' mailing list, and email me if you have
any questions.

peace,

  isaac

[1] Haskell' Wiki: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime

[2] list of proposals and strawman categorization:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/report/9

[3] plan for moving discussion forward
http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-February/000582.html

[4] The TimeLine is here.  Ascii text of the timeline follows (might
not make sense unless you use a proportional font:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/TimeLine

                                 Write Report----Review----
                                 |              | Edit    |
               Discuss / Refine--|----------    |         |
   brainstorm-----------         |         |    |         |
setup          |       |         |         |    |         |
10 | 11 | 12 | 01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10 | 11
2005           2006