minimal Prelude (was Re: Export lists in modules)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 23 05:50:02 EST 2006

On 22 February 2006 22:04, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> writes:
>
>>> module Prelude.Standard
>>>     ( module Prelude
>>>     , module Prelude.Num
>>>     , module Prelude.Comparison
>>>     , module Prelude.Monad
>>>     , module Prelude.List
>>>     , module Prelude.Maybe
>>>     , module Prelude.Either
>>>     , module Prelude.Tuple
>>>     , module Prelude.IO
>>>     , module Prelude.Text
>>>     )
>>
>> Why Prelude.List, not Data.List, etc.?
>
> No particular reason.  Either choice would be good.  (But I didn't
> want to imply that everything currently in Data.List would be
> re-exported, since it defines more than just Prelude entities.)

Having all these extra modules seems like too much structure for not
much gain.  Also "Prelude.Standard" is ambiguous: which standard?

Instead, I suggest Prelude.Haskell98 for the Haskell98-compatible
prelude (in the haskel98 package, of course).

I'm agnostic about whether we strip the Prelude down to the absolute
minimum, or just remove some of the more less-used things.

Cheers,
	Simon